Sunday 22 August 2010

The First Few Days

 So here we are, starting out our year in one of the most popular places in the world. Figured I would start a Blog, so everyone who was interested, could be updated with my life in Essex, England.

 I should start with us boarding the plane in St. John's where myself and Jennifer never ended up sitting together, although she did sit directly in front of me...best kind. I sat next to a very handsome guy named Kirk, who was extremely easy to talk to, and was obviously easy on the eyes. We ended up chatting the WHOLE entire way to England, and even watched Iron Man 2 together, sort of. (We started and ended at the same time, and commented during). He gave me the rest of his Starburst before we got off the plane, and sadly went our seperate ways...but Holy Shit, that plane ride went by so quickly!

 We were met by a taxi driver named Craig, who greeted us with an envelope (cell phone and contract/information from our recruitment agency TimePlan) and a very small vacuum sealed package containing a duvet/4 pillows. These looked as if they were made out of paper towel, like if you pulled on them too hard, they might rip, hahaha. Nevertheless, they were perfect for starting out. (Pillows are soo fluffy, I think I'll keep 'em).

 We started talking to our cab driver, who let us know that Ilford, Essex isn't the "greatest" plasce in England, but that our house was located in the better part of the town. It freaked me out for a minute, but when I got the the house, it all went away. We pulled up to the sweetest town house, with a little gate and an arch door. I immediately fell in love.

 We checked out our rooms, and of course, by luck, Jennifer got the nicest room out of the two. Her room is at the front of the house, with a big bay window and lots of space. My room is next to hers, at the back of the house, with a nice double bed in it, and a view of the tiny backyard (including everyone else's backyard). The perk of my room, is that I have my own personal sink, which is nice when you share a house with 4 other girls. I will have to take a video of the whole house when I get a chance and when everyone has fully moved in and has made it look lived in!

 There is a nice park about 1 minute away, which connects to a main road with lots of needed stores to shop at such as a few grocery stores, a post office, dollar stores, restaurants, a pharamacy etc. We are also right next to many bus stops that take us directly to the "Tube" Station.

 Yesterday, we went into Central London and walked around on Oxford Street. That street alone was wicked....the shopping has excited me already, and I haven't bought anything yet! I just don't think I will go shopping on a Saturday again because the place was Mayhem!!! It was like Primark (a very popluar store) was closing or something because people were running around like craxy buying stuff....You could hardly move in the store! The street was beautiful, so I can only imagine what the rest of London looks like. Lots of pictures are in order.

 We met 2 of the 3 roomates so far. One girl named Catherine is from South Africa and has her family visiting, so we haven't seen her around much at all, except for in the night when they get home from their daily excursion. She seems a little reserved, but we will get her out of her shell in no time, haha. The other girl, Sarah, we just met today because she was travelling. She is very social, loves to party and has been here for 2 years. I think we will be getting along just fine with her, but she is actually planning on moving out in a few months to a place closer to the city.

 On Tuesday, myself and Jennifer will be going to Buckingham Palace to check things out, especially now that the Queen is in Scotland!! We will be able to do the tour that goes inside the palace, which will be awesome. Then, this coming Sunday, we were asked by Sarah, if we wanted to go to ao party called "The Church", held by crazy Aussies, who celebrate every Sunday from 12-4, mainly the hours of chruch service, hence the name, lol. People dress up, drink, and do funny shit when they are there. A female stripper will entertain for a bit, and because it's a long weekend, us ladies will be greeted by a male stripper as well. Yay, us! LOL Not sure what our costumes will be yet, but I'm dressin' up as something!!!

 Ok, so far, you are up to date with things here. We are still settling away, and layin low, because we have lots of time to see and do!

 I will try to keep this updated because I think it's the best way to keep in touch with everyone without having to individually email people.

Love you all, and remember when you're on the tube......... "Mind The Gap!"
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Ashley!! so excited to hear more about your adventures! Douglas and I send all our love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, and I'm glad you're in a nice part of town -- I'll admit I was a little nervous when I found out where you were living ;) Love you xxxx.

    ReplyDelete