Wednesday 25 August 2010

Cheap Yank...WTF?

 So, here it is. The day we visit the Queen's Palace. First off, we weren't really sure of how to get there so we asked our roomate Sarah to help us. She was on her way into London anyway, so she took us there. This time, we took a train to the tube station, instead of a bus. While waiting for the train, I saw some newspapers in a bin, and so I decided to take one and keep up to date on what's happening. I took one and sat down next to the girls. Not even a minute later, a man came up to me telling me that this newspaper is not for free...Jesus, I unknowingly stole a newspaper! Comon', if I was gonna do this right, I would have at least stole something etable, had it open and tasted by the time the guy got there, but no. I never even had the first page read yet! I can be so stupid sometimes!

 We eventually get to Buckingham Palace, and the place is stunning. We couldn't take pictures of the inside of the palace, but we were allowed to take pictures of the Mews (where they kept the carriages, cars and horses) and when we were out in the garden (exiting the tour). I have some pictures I will upload anyway. 30 foot ceilings, decorations dipped in gold, and rooms enough to fit thousands for sure. We did see a lot of the gifts that were given to the Queen from people all over the world, and one special gift we were told about was a horse, given to her by the RCMP back in the 90's. She loved it.

 After what seemed like a 4 hour tour (wasn't far off ) we decided to come back home. Jennifer's leg was killing her (needs to get that checked out) and we wanted to take a nap before going out later that night. Down in the station, waiting for the tube, there was a girl who was clearly pissed about something. Just so happened that she dropped a part of her cell phone down into the tracks. Trying to be the hero, this coolio of a guy tries to jump down and get it for her, when a ladies pissed off voice came onto the intercom syste, frightening the guy who was half way down into the tracks!! What an idiot really. Gave me a fright, and I didn't even care for the guy, LOL.

We get back home, Jennifer naps. I just couldn't. We get ready to go out to a bar called The Edge, where there is some live music, and cheap drinks. I'm down for that. A 45 minute bus ride later because of detours, we arrive at this sketchy town (like ours, lol) and there doesn't seem to be much going on outside. Inside was a different story. The place was packed with all sorts of people. We get some beers, meet some people and listen to the guy singing on stage. He does a good job, but when Sarah's friend, the Birthday Boy, gets up to sing, I was blown away! His voice is amazing and very unique. I loved him, and of course, told him when I got the chance.

 We started socializing with these 2 guys from Romford (where we were) and right off the bat they started making fun of us, and tormenting us for our accent! I can handle that no problem, especially if he's buying us shots, HAHA. They called us "Cheap Yanks" which I've never heard of, but I just couldn't care less really, so we kept talkin. They were douchebags to say the least, and when one of us said something they didn't like, all hell broke loose. One guy started flippin' out callin my roomate a Cunt, and a Bloody Bitch, etc. so we just walked away to enjoy the rest of the music, while Idiot in the background continues to mumble and glare. It was quite funny in my opinion.

 The lights come on at 12 or something like that. Very early, even though it IS a Tuesday night. We walk down to the next bar, and it's Rockin- with tons of gay guys, HA! We go in there for a bit, and dance to some Spice Girls (which I haven't heard at a bar in years- apparently they still can't get enough of it here). The 2 douchebags are there as well, and we just ignore them.

 Wanting to go home eventually, we walk to the bus stop, right across the road, where this guy is eating french fries....I ask him if he has gravy, and he tells me that he is eating Curry-n-Chips.....It was a nasty yellow mushy mess of homemade fries smothered in Curry sauce, yuck! He really doesn't know what he's missin, when I tell him all about Fries, Dressing and Gravy or Poutine...... :)

 Got a little lost on the bus, had to get off at one point, and cross the road. Eventually hailed the over priced black cab, and make our way home!

 It's 3:30pm and my roomates are still in bed, except for Catherine who is still sightseeing with her family.

 Guess I should go wake 'em up?!?! Gone to get the biggest pot we have. Cheerio. xo

3 comments:

  1. they've lumped you in with Americans. Unless they call Canadians 'yanks' too?

    Also, if you're missing your own food, there's a place called Canada Shop in Covent Garden: http://www.angloaustraliantrading.com/Canadashop/CAdefault.aspx

    they have Kraft dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you ARE lump in with the Americans - and the Brits, for the most part despise Americans... You'll have a rough go of it if that continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They knew we were Canadians, and so they called us Cheap Yanks, so I guess that's the slang!
    Jill, I've heard of that place..and I should go just for the KD! Mmmmmmmm K.D. xo

    ReplyDelete